From the 1930s through the 1980s, Glen Alton was the farm and vacation retreat of a banker from nearby Pearisburg. The farm was acquired by the U.S. Forest Service in 1999. The Forest Service plans to restore the farm and create a public recreation area that will include interpretive displays, picnic areas, trails and overnight lodging.
The historic Glen Alton property, which is located north of Pembroke in the Eastern Divide Ranger District of the Jefferson National Forest, is an outstanding and underutilized natural and historic resource for our region.
The Glen Alton site is characterized by a gently rolling terrain and possesses a variety of scenic, natural and cultural resources including mountain views, wetlands, rivers, ponds and streams and the historic lodge, barns and caretaker's house which date back to the early 20th Century.
The property is owned by the U.S. Forest Service. It has been in use for many years by local residents for hunting, fishing, bird watching and, more recently, wedding receptions, but it is not sufficiently developed to accommodate larger groups of visitors wishing to explore the pristine and rustic scenery which abounds in this county.
Things to do…
- Pack a picnic lunch, bring a book and sit under a large oak tree and enjoy the cool breeze.
- Bring your class for a day of exploration. We have nets available to borrow for catching small creatures and butterflies.
- Have your wedding and reception or family reunion here.
- Take the kids fishing in our stocked pond.
- Hike the many wildlife and birding trails.
- Learn about the old power generator and how the farm was self-sustaining.
- Pick apples and grapes with the caretakers.
- Wander through the restored house and admire the simplicity of life in the past
- Glen Alton is open dawn to dusk. There is currently no overnight use.
- For those interested in camping, White Rocks Campground is only four (4) miles away. It is open May through November.
- There is no charge to visit Glen Alton.
- The house has been restored and there are bathrooms available.
- There is no drinking water.
- Parking is available outside the property gate.
- Vehicles are not allowed within the gate.
- Much of the property is wheelchair accessible.